More information is coming out about the Bronx apartment building fire that killed twelve people and left four others critically injured. Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Friday that it looks as if the fire was started in a first-floor apartment by a three-year-old child toying with the burners on the stove.
The child's mother discovered the fire, grabbed her children, and ran out of the apartment, leaving the front door open. The building's hallway acted as a chimney that fed the fire and allowed it to spread throughout other floors.
New York Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro had a message for anyone else in a similar situation:
Close the door, close the door, close the door.