*Warning: contains graphic images*
Greg Manteufel loved riding his Harley. But an illness he and his wife thought was the flu has left him bedridden in the hospital with his legs amputated above the knee.
His wife told Fox 6:
It hit him with a vengeance. Just bruising all over him. Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat.
Doctors believe the infection entered his body through a pretty innocuous lick from his dog.
Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, said:
This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs. This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body.
His blood pressure dropped so low that it caused the tissue of his limbs to die. The doctors first amputated his feet, then had to move up the leg to amputate above the knee, followed by a part of each of his hands, as well as part of his nose.
The case is a "freak occurrence." While most dogs carry this bacteria in their saliva, Dr. Munoz-Price said that over 99% of dog owners will never have this issue. It most often occurs when the saliva of the dog is able to enter the bloodstream through a simultaneous bite.
Greg is now recovering in the hospital.
A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family with medical costs, as well as prosthetic limbs.
People were shocked by the situation.
Many expressed sympathy.
And others amplified the signal of the GoFundMe campaign.