Image

Parents Issue Warning After Saving Their 3-Year-Old From Washing Machine Filling With Water

Parents Issue Warning After Saving Their 3-Year-Old From Washing Machine Filling With Water
User Avatar
Updated 4 weeks ago

Last Tuesday morning, Lindsey and Allan McIver woke to their son screaming and crying. When they finally realized what he said, they ran downstairs to their brand new LG washing machine. 

"Kloe inside washer."

Their 3-year-old daughter, Kloe, was locked inside the machine, which had begun to fill with water and spin.

The machine was airtight and locked, but the parents were able to open it and retrieve their terrified child before she suffered more than minor scrapes and bruises. Lindsey took to Facebook to warn other parents.

McIver's full Facebook post reads:

I’ve been hesitant to write this post. First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and second, because it’s just really hard to re-live.
On Sunday our washing machine broke down. On Monday my husband went to Lowe’s and purchased this new front load washing machine. We thought it was the “new and cool” type of washing machine and didn’t think anything of it. We spent that evening installing it with the kids underfoot. We told them several times that they were not to touch it. They all replied “OK.”
Early Tuesday morning we were woken up by our four-year-old son who was crying so hard he could barely talk. As I was trying to understand what he was saying, my husband flew out of bed and down the stairs. It was then that the realization hit. He had said: Kloe. Inside. Washer.
By the time we reached the laundry room in the basement, my three-year-old daughter Kloe was LOCKED inside the airtight washing machine. It was tumbling and filling with water. She was screaming but you couldn’t hear her.
We were able to quickly stop it and unlock the door and get her out. Aside from a couple of small bumps on her head and wet clothes, she was fine.

She continues:

After going through all the “what if‘s” and “could have’s” we know we are very blessed and God had mercy on our sweet daughter.
I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine. We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one.
I took this picture after we secured the door shut with a child safety lock. We also found a child lock feature on the settings that, as long as it is engaged, will not allow the washing machine to start. But it does not lock the door. We hadn’t even used the machine yet so we hadn’t looked at any of the settings. Also, it obviously took two curious kids to pull this off. I want to encourage anybody who has this type of front loading washing machine and small children, or even grandkids who visit, to lock the door with a child safety lock and always keep the child lock setting on!
I realize that there are ways we could’ve prevented this from happening. This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that’s what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn’t do anyone any good. We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough.

Many people were thankful for the warning.

Some consumers feel there should be better safety measures on these machines.

The McIvers have since implemented the machine's child lock feature and also added their own child safety lock. 

After Lindsey's post went viral, LG released a statement:

We applaud Ms. McIver for telling her story and share in her efforts to make sure that consumers are aware of the child safety lock feature. We encourage people to use this important safety setting and to contact our customer support team if they need any assistance. LG customer support can be reached 1 (800) 243-0000.

Better safe than sorry, and kudos to the McIvers for sharing their story.


H/T: ABC News, Denver Post