Following CNN's televised town hall that featured survivors of the Parkland, Florida, school shooting, one survivor claimed that CNN had rejected his questions and fed him their own. The student, Colton Haab, went on Fox News to explain how CNN allegedly scripted his questions.
Tucker Carlson interviewed Haab and tweeted about it afterwards:
Not surprisingly, President Trump felt pretty vindicated by Haab's story:
Following Haab's claims, however, CNN denied any "scripting" and invited him back on the network:
The next day, CNN released the emails in which they allegedly told Haab what to say, and it appeared as if Haab may have misinterpreted the exchange.
The Washington Post's Erik Wemple tweeted about the emails:
CNN is now releasing copies of the network's email exchanges with the Haab family after receiving inquiries this afternoon from the HuffPost and Fox News.— ErikWemple (@ErikWemple) February 24, 2018
CNN has maintained that it paired a question submitted by Colton Haab with a prefatory statement that he'd made previously on a "Fox & Friends" appearance. Which is to say, they wanted Haab to merely recite what he'd already said.— ErikWemple (@ErikWemple) February 24, 2018
As you can see, the emails tell a different story:
By Haab's own admission, his submission was lengthy and didn't necessarily meet the format CNN had requested.
Conservative commentator Erick Erickson explained how townhalls work and why Haab's claim was misguided:
In short, there might not be as much drama in the CNN town hall question controversy as someone like Tucker Carlson would have you believe.