Memes are great because they combine two very powerful storytelling elements: words and pictures.
The internet has an endless supply of ridiculous pictures and when you find one of them, all you have to do is think: "How do I relate to this picture?" and voila--you have yourself a meme.
When a meme goes viral, it's because it's so relatable that it actually feels invasive. A meme all too often goes for the jugular.
And this week, Twitter had some memes that pulled no punches. Take a look:
1. It's Midterm Season
2. Yes it's cold and cuddle season but I'm so over all you coupley people:
3. Just because I love it does not mean I want to put effort in:
4. Whatever you think might be in there ain't for you:
WHY do boys insist on touching your fat stomach when you’re the little spoon ??— Kirsten 🦋 (@KirstenC_xo) March 10, 2018
5. When healthy is more of a state of mind:
6. This gets too real, too fast:
everyone says they wanna talk about mental health but as soon as u exhibit any vaguely uncomfortable/ugly symptoms everyone changes their mind— em (@qviextly) March 10, 2018
7. One, two...why then, tis time to do it.
do you ever count how many hours of sleep you’re going to get before you go to sleep and think how am i going to cope for the whole day— katie (@lakatiexo) March 11, 2018
8. Thanks for putting me in my place today:
Don't forget drink water and get some sunlight because you're basically a house plant with more complicated emotions— Zach Birkland (@Birkalicious) March 13, 2018
9. Me personal trainer is always after me lucky charms (by which I mean 'love handles'):
10. I don't exercise unless my emotional safety is at risk:
me: AHH AhHHH AHHHHHH— andile (@INDIEWASHERE) March 11, 2018
any form of emotional intimacy: WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?
WHY ARE YOU RUNNING????